Welcome to The Vision Council's Media Room. Here you will find background on The Vision Council, access to the latest industry research, experts who can answer your questions, and updates on everything from the latest eyewear fashions, to lens trends and technology, low vision, digital eye strain, UV eye protection, and more. Check back with us on a regular basis for news updates, or send us an email to be added to our media list.
Get to Know The Vision Council
The Vision Council is a non-profit organization serving as a global voice for eyewear and eyecare.
Serving member companies in diverse segments of the optical industry—from family owned businesses to global companies—The Vision Council helps members to succeed in their businesses by providing a wide variety of resources and tools, from market research to training to industry networking events.
In addition, by sharing the latest in eyewear trends, advances in technology and advice from eyewear experts, the organization serves as a resource to the public looking to learn more about options in eyeglasses and sunglasses.
Co-owned by The Vision Council and Reed Exhibitions, Vision Expos East and West are worldwide conferences for eyecare and eyewear that draw more than 30,000 eyecare professionals each year. Vision Expo offers 300+ hours of education and more than five football fields of exhibit space showcasing fashion eyewear, accessories and medical equipment. More optical professionals make their buying decisions at Vision Expo than any other industry event in North America. Proceeds from Vision Expo are used by The Vision Council to educate consumers about the importance of vision care and the options in eyewear and other related products, reaching millions of consumers with its messages through marketing materials, public relations outreach and strategic partnerships.
Industry research and data analysis are critical to running a successful business. From consumer opinions to international trade figures, The Vision Council's research programs offer a unique view on the optical industry. Managed and produced by The Vision Council since its inception in 2000, VisionWatch is the only large-scale, continuous consumer measurement designed exclusively for the eyewear and eyecare industry. VisionWatch uses a statistically balanced sample representative of the adult U.S. population and produces more than 10,000 new interviews each month regarding eyecare and eyewear experiences, purchases and habits.
The Vision Council is a key financial and promotional supporter of the Think About Your Eyes campaign. With the understanding that the right messages and media can motivate the public to begin focusing on their vision, Think About Your Eyes is a national nonprofit organization under The Vision Council, in partnership with the American Optometric Association, designed to educate the public about the importance of getting an annual comprehensive eye exam. With the support of the eyecare industry and providers, Think About Your Eyes generates more than 1.25 billion consumer impressions each year is using television, radio, online radio and digital advertising, social media and media relations.
The Vision Council maintains several operating divisions that provide guidance, education programs, marketing materials, research and advocacy outreach to address common interests among members.
- The Eyewear & Accessories (E&A) Division focuses on promoting eyewear as a fashion accessory, manufacturing standards and regulations and industry financial benchmarking.
- The Lab Division provides information, publications, education, and programs to help members operate and improve their business and their lab operations.
- The Lens Division creates standards and regulations, reviews lens-specific manufacturing issues and educates eyecare providers and consumers about lens trends and technologies.
- The Lens Processing & Technology (LPT) Division works to promote awareness of lens processing technologies, monitors and establishes industry standards and creates industry-accepted compliance procedures.
- The Low Vision Division works to raise awareness of low vision and low vision devices among eyecare providers, visually impaired consumers and their caregivers.
- The Optical Retail Division focuses on the unique business needs of optical retailers, provides government and regulatory guidance, and delivers consumer insights and specialized market data to help members improve their businesses.
- The Sunglass & Reader (SRD) Division promotes the fashion and function of sunwear and readers and provides guidance on standards and regulations.
Industry Quick Facts
*Based on data from 2018 VisionWatch reports